The oldest known text about lemon grass oil had been found from the Philippines in 17th century. It had been introduced to Jamaica in 1799 and to Haiti and USA in 1917. First commercial cultivation of lemon grass was reported in Florida, USA and Haiti in 1947. It is not known when or by whom introduced lemon grass to Sri Lanka. According to the reports available at the national herbarium in 1905 a Sri Lankan researcher called Mr. J.F Jovit had acquired several plants of “Kochin Sera” (Cymbopogon citrates) From the South India and had planted them at Bandarawela Farm for research purposes. Several large scale cultivations of lemon grass had been existed in Sri Lanka in several decades ago but currently only a few small cultivations exists.